The average age of women at menopause is 51, even though some women experience it as early as 45.
One of the main treatments for the wide range of menopause symptoms is the hormone replacement therapy. However, one study showed that hormone therapy with progestin and estrogen might not suit all women.
Statistics show that this treatment raises the risk of dementia, stroke, and breast cancer in women who haven’t had a hysterectomy.
The treatment involves these hormones as the ovaries of women during menopause are producing less estrogen than before.
Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Here are the most common signs and symptoms of premenopause and menopause:
- Weight gain, especially around the waist
- Brittle bones and bone loss
- Insomnia and other sleep changes
- Low libido
- Hair changes, including increased facial or body hair, or changes in the thickness or texture
- Pain during intercourse due to vaginal dryness
- Mood changes, such as depression, anxiety, and irritability
- Muscle loss
- Hot flashes
- Irregular periods during perimenopause
- Changes in the voice
- Night sweats
Reduce Menopause Symptoms with Essential Oils
Instead of the conventional hormone replacement therapy, you can try treating your menopause symptoms with the help of few essential oils. Here are the best oils for this purpose:
- Clary Sage – reduces PMS pain, relieves stress and hot flashes, and helps in balancing hormones
- Geranium – relieves anxiety, depression, boosts mood, improves the regularity of menstrual cycle during premenopause, and balances hormones
- Lavender – promotes sleep and relaxation, helps hormone balance, reduces cramps, relieves stress, and alleviates heart palpitations, headaches, and hot flashes related to menopause
- Pine – helps prevent osteoporosis as it reduces bone loss
- Rose – helps reduce hot flashes and improve mood due to its ability to strengthen the uterus
- Chasteberry – vitex Agnus-cactus, or Abraham’s balm is known to help improve mood swings and irregular menstrual cycles.
How to Use Them
You can diffuse these essential oils into the air, or apply them topically. However, there are some risks of using them orally and topically, such as skin irritation. Therefore, it’s
Recipes of Essential Oil Blends Which Help Alleviate PMS
These essential oil blends will help soothe your PMS symptoms and improve your well-being during the monthly menstrual cycle.
Fill your bath with warm water and add the following ingredients:
- 2-3 drops of chamomile oil
- 5 drops of clary sage
- 2-3 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of geranium
- 1 tbsp. of jojoba essential oil
- A handful of Epsom salt
Enjoy this bath for 45 minutes.
PMS Hormonal Balance Mix
Blend one drop of geranium, two drops of clary sage, and one drop of ylang-ylang essential oil.
Blend for a Menstrual Massage
Combine 30ml of jojoba, coconut, or other carrier oil with ten drops of peppermint oil, five drops of cypress oil, and ten drops of nutmeg essential oil. Use this blend to massage your abdomen and lower back every day before and during your menstrual cycle. You can also add it to your bath.
Belly Massage Blend
Mix three drops of each, chamomile, juniper, and clary sage oil into 30ml of some carrier essential oil. Use this blend to massage your belly in a clockwise direction.